Is your school registered with Yoga Alliance?
How long has your school been around?
We have been teaching students yoga for almost 20 years and for the last seven years
the Asha Yoga Teacher Training program has been supporting students interested in:
- Learning a skillful physical practice (How the body works and how to heal it’s unhealthy patterns)
- Creating an authentic life (Being honest with yourself and others feels really good!)
- Teaching yoga professionally (Only if you want to!)
- Making a positive difference in the world (By living the principles of yoga and teaching them)
- Integrating the physical and spiritual aspects of yoga. (Yes!)
- Transforming deeply rooted beliefs that cause suffering. (This is an amazing and unique part of the program!)
- Exploring the depths of yoga that cannot be covered in a regular class
What types of students attend your program?
The students who tend to join our teacher training are generally female (although we’d love to see more men!) who are either looking to delve deeper into their own personal well-being or are looking to teach professionally. They range in age and personality but all share one common interest: Living with honesty, skill and grace while making a positive contribution to the world.
What level are they at in their practice?
Generally speaking, students who attend our teacher training should have at least a 6-month dedicated practice. This does not mean you need to be able to do every yoga pose, nor does it mean that you need to understand all of the yogic philosophy. But some level of commitment and understanding is required and we are able to gauge this in your application process.
What is unique about your program?
Cori’s teaching style is to support movement both on the mat and through life with honesty, skill, and grace; which comes through powerfully throughout this training.
- Wisdom: Self Study and Personal Growth
From the first day, you will see Cori’s honesty and authenticity and she will ask you (and inspire you) to do the same for yourself. Beyond that, she will support you in doing it–with skillful guidance through technique, discussion, assignments and self-inquiry based on yogic teachings. The freedom and connection you feel as a result will change your life.
- Skill: Experienced Teaching
Cori is a very experienced and knowledgeable teacher (which is more unique than we’d like it to be for a teacher training program!) This will make you a more skilled and knowledgeable practitioner and teacher.
- Skill: Learn the WHY Behind the How
Cori is known for her mastery at conveying a clear understanding of how the body works. She expresses her knowledge simply and clearly to students of this program so that when you practice and teach asana, you know WHY you are guiding yourself and/or others in specific ways. This helps keep you and your students safe, healing and smart.
Cori is loved for her ability to create an environment where students can connect to the highest version of themselves, their life, and the divine–in a personal, intimate and non-dogmatic way. This gives you a direct experience of what yoga (beyond asana) really is.
Will I be READY to teach after the training?
Everything you need to know to begin teaching is offered during the training. Whether or not you will personally feel or be ready to teach when the program is over cannot be known. We have had many students graduate and begin teaching right away, while others have attended a 3-month mentorship program with Cori at Asha Yoga and then felt more ready. Others have required additional time to continue practicing and reviewing the material in order to build more confidence within themselves. What you put in is what you get back
How is it determined whether I PASS?
Your full participation in the program is required in order for you to receive the certificate of completion
- Attendance: We encourage you to show up for 100% of the meeting hours. If an exception is needed, hours missed will need to be made up. Sometimes this will be at an additional cost, though we do our best to accommodate you without extra charge. An example of when there may be an additional charge is if you miss a presentation by a guest teacher that cannot be made up at Asha Yoga. In this case, you may need to attend an additional training elsewhere to make up that content.
- Completion of all homework, reading and assignments: There will be required reading, weekly awareness practices, and minimum requirements of asana, meditation and pranayama practice during the training. Upon completion of the training and prior to applying for your certificate there will be additional requirements to observe classes, create full sequences, teach full classes, and additional reading. Each assignment will require a form to filled out, a report to be written or questions to be turned in. (Complete details are provided during the training).
- Final Exam: You must receive a passing score on the final exam. The exam includes a written test and 20 minutes of teaching.